Coast Transit Authority (CTA) has a 30-day public comment period for a proposed fare increase, specifically for its fixed route bus service. As part of CTA’s ongoing commitment to transparency and public engagement, CTA is opening a public comment period to seek feedback from riders, stakeholders, and the general public.
The proposed fare rate increase arises from the inflationary cost of conducting business. In FY2022, CTA experienced an 8.5% inflation rate, and in FY2023, a 3.3% inflation rate. To ensure continued quality service while addressing these financial challenges, a fare adjustment is deemed necessary. All interested parties are invited to share their opinions and concerns regarding the proposed fare rate increase. The comment period will run from September 15 to October 15, 2023.
The details of the proposed fare increase are to go from $1.50 to $1.75 for a regular bus fare pass. It would also include going up from $0.75 to $0.85 for half fares (Senior/Disabled). This would not increase any daily, 3-day, or 31-day passes or the ADA/Paratransit rates.
The following are the ways to comment by October 15, 2023:
- Online: Visit CTA’s official website, www.coasttransit.com to fill out the online feedback form. (Go to: https://coasttransit.com/about-cta/public-participation/.)
- Mail: Send your written comments to:
Coast Transit Authority
333 DeBuys Road
Gulfport, MS 39507
- In-Person: Attend one of two public meetings. Public comments will be recorded and included in CTA’s considerations.
- Tuesday, September 19, 2023, from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., at the Biloxi Transit Center, located at 820 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd, Biloxi, MS.
- Wednesday, September 27, 2023, from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m., at the Gulfport Transit Center, located at 1401 20th Avenue, Gulfport, MS.
- Virtual Meeting: Join CTA’s virtual public meeting on Tuesday, October 3, 2023, from 5:30 – 6:30 p.m. The link to participate are available here:
After the closure of the public comment period, CTA will review all received comments and feedback. Decisions regarding the fare increase will be made in consideration of this feedback, alongside other operational needs. Any adopted fare changes will be announced publicly with sufficient notice before implementation.
Coast Transit Authority encourages all riders and stakeholders to stay informed and participate actively in the decision-making process. Updates on the fare increase proposal and the outcome of the public comment period will be available on CTA’s official website (www.coasttransit.com) and CTA social media channels.
For further questions or clarifications, please contact CTA’s Marketing/Mobility Coordinator at 228-896-8080, extension 234, or email email@example.com.
CTA thanks the public for their continued support and for helping CTA serve the community better. For additional information call 228-896-8080 or visit www.coasttransit.com. Follow Coast Transit Authority on Facebook, Instagram, and YouTube to stay in the loop!